The end of a loved one’s life, however long and well lived, brings with it a sense of loss and sadness. Managing important events like holidays or the anniversary of their passing may be especially challenging.
You can keep your loved one’s memory alive by creating a positive, lasting legacy for yourself and others to remember them throughout the year, including on the anniversary of their passing.
Choosing how to honor a deceased loved one on special days during the year is different for each person. Some will spend time in quiet reflection, some may prefer a brief acknowledgement and others may want to focus on their deceased loved one’s memory. Consider creating a comforting new ritual to celebrate the life of your loved one, perhaps one that can be repeated in the years to come.
Consider the following ways to honor and remember your loved one during holidays or on the anniversary of their passing:
- Take flowers to the gravesite, or memorial site
- Look at favorite photos and videos, either alone or reminisce with loved ones
- Turn digital photos into a photo album
- Donate some of your loved ones belongings to a shelter or charity
- Make a charitable donation or establish a scholarship in their name
- Volunteer with a charity or cause that was important to your loved one
- Plan a memorial service on the anniversary of their passing
- Update a memorial website with new memories or share condolences from others
- Reach out to someone else who has experienced a similar loss
- Host a dinner party and invite those who knew your loved one best