5. How to Prepare for Travel Emergencies When Traveling with Pets
Pets can add extra enjoyment to your trip. Our recommendations for traveling with your pet include:
- Confirm that the place where you will travel allows pets. If you leave pets at home, provide care arrangements and instructions with a trusted loved one or kennel. Include veterinarian contact information.
- Confirm that your pet’s vaccinations and other shots are current. Bring your veterinarian’s contact number.
- Have an approved transport carrier for your pet. Check airline, bus, or train requirements before you leave.
- Bring familiar food, treats, and a water bowl.
- Do not leave pets alone for extended periods of time.
- Allow for plenty of exercise and restroom breaks.
- Try to acclimate your pet for travel by placing them on the floor of your car while driving so that they can get adjusted to car vibrations.
- Bring a pet bed, a leash, and a few favorite toys.
- Bring extra towels to use for accidents, or to provide a spur-of-the-moment sleep space.